Saturday, May 11, 2013

Boys weekend in Manila


Conveniently for me, one of the cheapest and quickest flight from Hong Kong is to Manila, Philippines. Last weekend,  Paul Eli and I took advantage for a quick visit to see family and have some father-son time.  This is us on the Airport express at 6 AM, leaving Hong Kong:


We stayed with my cousin T.J. who not only is a great host, but has a veritable mansion,  as you'll see.    He is the proud owner of a Shakey's pizza and Jollibee burger franchise, two of the top fast food chains in the Philippines.   We took a visit to his Shakey's for some lunch.  




Here's a video of Paul Eli making his favorite pizza,  pepperoni and olive. 



The waiter is thrilled with Paul Eli's craftsmanship.



T.J. built his own compound with two huge houses surrounding a courtyard with a fountain.  The courtyard is where we had a small family reunion on Saturday night.


Here's another angle of his house.


A picture with some family.   It was really nice to get together again - it had been too long since I had been back to Manila.


A few shots of the spread.   Mangos,  fresh lumpia (spring rolls),  lechon (fried pork belly), rice,  pancit (fried noodles), and salad.   Not shown are all of the desserts,  often some variation on coconut with cream.  I ate like a complete pig this weekend.  I am not proud of myself.




The next day we went to a local water park.   Paul Eli had a great time.   I will limit the action shots but I want to include this picture of Paul Eli and Fonzie,  TJ's younger son.


Paul Eli,   Fonzi,  Pepi,  and T.J.


After the waterpark, we hit the mall for some bungee jumping and some Teriyaki Boy for lunch.   I also picked up some dried mango and ube candy for the ride home.  



All in all,  a great visit,  and we are looking forward to coming back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment